Monday, February 2, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

I meant to start this last month, but who ever really starts resolutions in January?! On the first week of every month I want to try and share a little something or someplace that has brightened my day. If you talk with me on a daily or weekly basis you probably already know about these favorites of mine cause I'm all about sharing the love, right? I received the lovely cookbook pictured below back in 2001 from my dear mother-in-law Judith. I have given it as gifts countless times since then myself. It contains a hundred or so easy, delicious recipes that you will enjoy for years. The only catch is that it can only be purchased at Make-A-Wish Foundation. Call me if you have any problems acquiring it. It is a must for every cook out there. Promise.



Tortellini Soup

1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cup water
2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans beef broth
1/2 cup white wine or apple juice
3 carrots, sliced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup zucchini
4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
8 ounces cheese tortellini (refrigerated or frozen)

fresh grated Parmesan cheese

In large soup pan, brown sausage. Drain fat and add chopped onion and garlic and cook until tender. Add water, broth, wine, carrots, tomatoes, basil, oregano, zucchini, parsley and peppers. Simmer 30 min. or longer. Add tortellini 5 to 10 min. before serving. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

If you have this book already, what is your favorite recipe?

8 comments:

Crystal said...

You gave me this wonderful cook book back in 2003 for my 20th birthday and I have been grateful ever since! It has great recipes and has made me the talk of ward potluck dinners for years ever since!;) Thank you for being so genourous and sharing it with us! I love it!! Alomst as much as I love you!

P.S. Tortellini soup is on my list of comfort foods! YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE my book too. Which you gave to me. :) And tortellini soup is one of my FAVORITES!! I just may have to make it today. Thanks for coming over last night it's always fun when you are all here. Love you!

Ada's Girl said...

So glad I started something good for you all. We all love this book!

Anonymous said...

I've been the recipient of that wonderful soup. Thanks C!

Carrie said...

I love this too. I use it all the time, still. I love the homemade Macaroni and Cheese, Hawaiian Haystacks, and Peanut Butter Cookies.

batch5 said...

Thank you for posting that recipe. I have been meaning to call you for it! We all loved it. I will have to see about getting the cookbook. love!

Kristin said...

The book is definitely titled right!
I love the chicken lasagna, the black bean salsa, the white bean soup, the BBQ chicken salad...I could go on and on. Needless to say, I haven't tried everything in the book. I will have the give the soup you mentioned a try.
love ya

batch5 said...

I made tortellini soup this week. Delicioso! Thanks for sharing. We should get together for lunch one day.