Thursday, February 19, 2009

guess who's finally out of the closet?

When we moved into our home on Sunnydale 4 1/2 years ago, we not only doubled our previous home's square footage, but we inherited giant walk-in closets. This was unheard of in homes like ours built in the 1950's. With my one month old baby Samuel in tow, it made perfect sense to build him a little nest right next to me in my comfy, cozy closet. There was ample room for clothing, a full size crib and his dresser. The beauty of it all was that he could sleep to his hearts content in his little cave without being disturbed by his loud, older siblings. This worked out great for years. Once he got potty trained we tried to move him into Katherine's room where we had an extra bed but he refused. He said he liked his room and that his crib was "just the perfect size". No argument from me. Being my baby and all, I loved having him so close. I could go in before I dozed off and hear him breathe which has always made my sleepy eyes smile.

Last week he announced to me that he found a sleeping bag "just the perfect size" and that he was moving in with "the brothers". So just like that he moved out from under my protective wing and became an official big boy. I registered him for kindergarten a few days later. Tear.

So in answer to Grandma Martha's constant question, "Is that boy out of your closet yet?" I can answer, yes mom, he is. Loving life on the top bunk and sleeping soundly.








His favorite stuffed animal named Jeffy also made the move.





7 comments:

Ada's Girl said...

Congratulations to Samuel. That's a big change. He looks so happy to be with the boys. I guess when we're ready to progress we do it on our own time table. That's the beauty of free agency. You're a good mom to let him find his own way out of that cozy closet.

Crystal said...

Clau this is def one of my favortie post of yours...I laughed so hard I had tears, mainly because all I could hear was mom saying that! Way to go Sammy, I love you Jeffy and his shirt:) Just one question though...can I borrow your crib..eh JUST KIDDING! But seriously whatever will you do with all that closet space now?

Daisie said...

Claudia, what a great post! Congrats to Sammy on "coming out of the closet" and I'm wondering what you'll do with all that closet space too!!

Anonymous said...

OH my Goodness!! That was way too funny. Way to go Sammy!!! And way to go Clau!! I was a personal eye witness to Mom's grilling of when Samuel would be "out of the closet" and I almost choked on My Salmon tacos as Mom spoke to Clau about it. And I quote, Mom: "So let me get this straight, Samuel sleeps in between Brett's suits and your dresses?" Claudia: "Brett has his own closet Mom." ROFL!!!

See Mom you still have influence on us!! Congrats to you all!

Melissa said...

Oh how funny! The first thought in my head was Grandma Jessie and I could hear the conversation that your mom would have had with Grandma if she was still here...and then the way Grandma would look and sound as she relayed the information on her beloved phone to all that called her. Congrats to Sammy for making his move. Does this mean you get to go shopping to fill up the space with some stuff for you? I think if I had that room...I'd make it my little scrapbook hideaway where I could leave all my stuff out...and work on stuff as I please. Ah well, in my dreams I suppose.

Claudia said...

Thanks for all of your sweet comments. Since Brett has repeatedly vetoed the idea of having another little one fill my empty nest,Crystal- you can borrow my crib anytime. I will save it for my grand-babies who will always have a place to rest their sweet little heads at my house. If Sarah follows my time-line this could be 5 short years from now. Don't tell her I said that!

For now, I like Mellisa's idea. Shopping and/or scrapbooking both sound like marvelous ideas for filling the space. I'll keep you updated.

And in case your wondering (like I was) "ROLF" stands for rolling on the floor laughing! Don't I have the best sisters!!

LOVE to you ALL~

Lindsay said...

Claudia - that is hilarious! What's even funnier is that it never even occurred to me that Sammy wasn't in one of the bedrooms. I totally forgot that when he was a baby he slept in the closet and consequently, never knew he was still in there!!