Monday, February 23, 2009

Run, run, leap

I happened upon dance at the age of 12. Because of where we lived, my Mom had the good sense of enrolling us in a magnet program in hopes of bettering our education. The nearest magnet school was Fleming Junior High which happened to have an emphasis in the arts. Unlike some of the kids that were bused in from all over town I had zero dance experience. However, because of my naturally small physique I looked like a dancer and fell right into place with the other kids in the class. I was taught to point my toes, feel the beat of the music and fly through the air from one end of the room to the other. This is were my life long love affair with dance began.

As I had 3 daughters of my own, I had a strong desire to give them a chance to experience the same love for dance that was given to me.

We found that place at CDT, the Children's Dance Theater, an extension of the Modern Dance Fine Arts department of the University of Utah. It is a company that focuses on technique and improvisation through creative and modern dance. Many of the dances they perform they have helped choreograph themselves.

This KSL news link gives a little glimpse of the girls in motion. Can you spot Kate in the pink outfit towards the end? She's on the center-left hand side of the screen. Don't blink, or you might miss it:)

There have been times when the girls have come home from dance and said to me, "Mom, I know that my life will get busy and there will be times I will want to quit dance. Whatever you do, don't listen to me. I love it, make sure I remember that."

When I watch them on stage I can't take my eyes off of them. I have to go back several times to watch the group as a whole and see the choreography. I am mesmerized. It is so beautiful to see them shine through their movement. It's times like that we remember why we love it so much.



In March of 2007, Miss Kate played the lead of Gabby in CDT's production of The Dream Stealer


This years poster which has graced every school, grocery store and library along the Wasatch front shows our Lisey flying through the trees.


I love the way their hands connect in this picture. CDT March 2008

4 comments:

Ada's Girl said...

Oh how I love these beautiful dancers. I'm heartbroken at not being at their performance Friday night. Wish I had known. One of my favorite pictures is of you in traditional dress swirling around looking like an angel. Your girls come by dance naturally. How wonderful that you can provide such a meaningful experience for them. I send roses!

Carrie said...

Dancing your heart out! It brings so much joy. Your girls have a wonderful opportunity there in Utah. I love to see them shine. Wish I could be there to see them dance!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad I'm missing thier latest performance too. Please let me know when their next show is and I will be there!! Love you girls!!

Brett Nielson said...

I'm so amazed at how far the girls have come. All I can say is that it is inspiring to watch them perform and it makes me want to get up and dance with them! Dance is such beautiful and uplifting art form.