Sunday, May 30, 2010

growing pains

Maybe it's the season or maybe it's just that I'm getting older, but lately I've been reflecting on how fast time has gone by and how quickly my sweet, precious babies are growing up on me and it makes me sad.

We spent Mothers Day at my in-laws and she had pictures like this draped around the table as a centerpiece.



That's my mother in the center photo holding Sarah at 6 weeks old. She always told me watching her girls grow up and leave her nest was the hardest thing she's ever been through. And that's saying A LOT coming from her. Oh, how I miss her! And there I am with my little 2 year old Sarah, sporting our red coats. How I miss those days of packing her and Analisa in the stroller and showing them the world through my eyes. Where has the time gone?

Brett and I went to a neighbors wedding yesterday. I spent most of the time with my face in my napkin sopping up tears thinking this could be us a handful of years from now. Will they be ready? Have we taught them enough to help them navigate through life's inevitable twists and turns? Will they remember all the things we tried to give them and teach them? I hope so!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a sentimental mess these days too. Glad we can cry together.

The Stanley's said...

Isn't it a blessing we cry sentimental tears of joy?

Daisie said...

What precious pictures!! I think "letting go" is one of the hardest things to do as a mother. Even watching them make decisions that aren't quite the best and letting them learn from them is hard for me. Luckily I'm getting lots of practice! :/

megan f said...

Sarah is so beautiful!

Whitney and Family said...

I've been having similar feelings lately, and my oldest is only 5. I can imagine it only gets worse! 1st grade though, I mean it's the beginning of the end. From here on out she'll be gone all day every day. And why do babies have to get big so fast? Sigh.