Saturday, May 15, 2010

brace face

Going through orthodontics with three of my girls didn't seem so bad. Go in with with crooked teeth, slap some braces on and voilĂ , a year or so later, perfectly straight, gorgeous teeth. With my 40th b.day looming around the corner, I said to Brett, "You know, I've always wanted to have straight teeth. Maybe it's time for me to just go ahead and bite the bullet."

And bite it I did!

As I lay in the doctors chair looking up at the TV screen on the ceiling, the movie they had playing was none other than The Princess Bride. "Oh good!" I thought. "This will really help get my mind off things."

Typically, my favorite scene in the movie, the one that replays in my head long after the movie's end, looks something like this:


On that particular day all I could see was this:


And the words repeated by this guy over and over again!

They stretched and pulled and super glued 28 baby tooth sized razor blades on to my permanent teeth leaving me questioning why in the world I would ever put myself and my children through such torture.

Needless to say, my vita-mix has been running on turbo speed and I have rekindled a love for mashed potatoes and ice-cream. I hope and pray that a year from now I can smile with confidence and say it was all worth it. Today ...not so sure.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I am with ya, girl. When I had mine, I thought, had I known, no way would I do this again! That is probably not what you wanted to hear. Actually, you will love having straight teeth once it's all over. It feels great. You are going to have to post a picture!

Ada's Girl said...

That's hilarious! Love you.

Kristin said...

Oh Claudia, you brave woman! I had braces, and twice on my bottom teeth, and they still moved! My orthodontist said I had the most stubborn bottom teeth he had ever seen. At least my stop stayed straight. You will love it when it is over. Good for you! Wish I was there to take you to Red Mango!
And, pedicures and lunch are on when I get there in six weeks! Can't wait!
Missing you!

Whitney and Family said...

This post really made me chuckle. Good luck! They aren't fun now, but it will all be worth it in the end!!