Saturday, August 15, 2009

birthday boy

My baby turned 5 today! I can hardly believe the baby stage of my life is moving farther and farther out of sight (Denise says it perfectly here). I gave away a couple of bags full of baby clothes to a much needed new mommy yesterday. Although it nearly broke my heart to part with my precious tiny onesies, it felt good to give them to someone who needed them more than me. My Sammy boy is growing up. He starts kindergarten in a week. I can't help but look back and mourn (with great big alligator tears) the days of my little helpless baby relying so heavily on me. Yet here is, ready to cross the street looking both ways without me holding his hand. I still stand close though, watching and protecting, encouraging him on. I love that he still sits on my lap for hugs now and then and still lets me shower him with kisses when I feel so inclined, which is all the time really. One of my favorite things he does right now is when he wraps his little hand on the fat part of my arm, squeezes it as if taking my blood pressure and says, "Yep, you're a really good mama."

I love you more than more Sammy. At 5 or 55 you'll always be my baby!





5 comments:

katherine said...

I LOVE YOU SAMUEL!!!

Daisie said...

Wow, your Sammy boy is 5!! I still remember when Katherine was about that age! You have a BEAUTIFUL family Claudia and there's no question about it--you ARE a really good mama!

Blue said...

um...one point of clarification: there is NO "Fat Part Of My Arm" on you. Perhaps a "less slender part", but if you could amass even one T. of fat culled from your entire body, I'd be astonished.

I am mildly sympathetic to your predicament though. My "baby" turns TEN on tuesday. Ten years since I had a newborn. Ten years since I scrubbed spit-up stains out of tiny onesies. Ten years since my arms were filled with baby breath and the sleepy smiles that people tried to tell me weren't, but which I knew really were smiles. And I only got to go through that twice. Wah.

So whatcha gonna do with all your free time? We'll have to fatten up your arms with a few So... visits :-)

Happy Birthday Darline Samuel! You're a great boy. ♥

Carrie said...

I know how you feel. I keep telling Eliza that she is not aloud to turn 7. That is just too big. I still smooch on her cheeks all the time. I wonder how old she will be when I stop doing that. Maybe never? Because she's the baby?

Tell Sammy Happy Birthday! He is such a cute boy.

Ada's Girl said...

Happy Birthday to Samuel Brett! My baby is much older for sure but he is still my baby boy forever!