Saturday, January 17, 2009

update on birthday girl


Turning 15 in the Mexican culture is a BIG DEAL. Most girls are inducted into womanhood with a Quinceañera. "To most Mexicans, the "Quinceaños" celebration marks the transition from girlhood to young womanhood, and is the time when a "niña" (girl) is to begin being referred to as a "señorita" (Miss)". It is traditionally marked with a celebration that includes a religious ceremony, every friend and family member you've ever met, live Mariachi, food, and dancing. I will have to write about my BIG DEAL party sometime and share pictures of me in ginormous, ruffly, pink Barbie dress. It was incredible. For Sarah's 15th b.day my Papi flew in from Mexico and we celebrated at The Roof downtown Salt Lake. The above picture was taken by Uncle Jody. She was showered with gifts and had a wonderful time surrounded by all the people who love her most (with the exception of Grandma Martha and a few aunts and uncles who lived to far away to attend). If I remember correctly, I think she even waltzed with her Dad in the lobby of the JSB.

This year for her 16th, she insisted that we keep it low key and absolutely no surprise friend party like last year.

"I just want to chill with my friends and celebrate at Tia Moni's house with cake and ice-cream."

Wish granted.

She went to a "Morning-side" with a few of her friends to hear Elder Bednar. Brunch with the same crew at The Pancake House afterwards. A delightful afternoon at the spa, where she made friends with everyone but the janitor. A visit to the Apple store and later a relaxing evening with a few of the boys from the Sarah fan club. Sunday was spent with the Wihongi's, laughing at her CRAZY stories and jammin' to a little rock band. Oh, to be 15-16 again!





4 comments:

Crystal said...

Looks like she had a great time and is very loved! I hope you know that girly girl! Happy birthday month:)

Love Tia Crystal

Carrie said...

Oh, I'm so glad you shared. I love to know what's going on in your neck of the woods. I like the sound of a low key birthday. Maybe I can talk Gabrielle into that for her 14th.

Ada's Girl said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday. Looks like kick back fun fun fun.

Melissa said...

Claudia:
I remember your party...a little cause I don't think that I was allowed to go, but my mom took a ton of pictures that are in her picture box (which I have). She also kept that invitation for the occasion in file folder called "special" so...I need to find time to scan and send you a package of that stuff so you can take a trip down memory lane.