Thursday, July 15, 2010

SOAR

A couple weeks ago we shipped our fair skinned Sarah off 45 miles south to bond with her brown skinned brothers and sisters at a multicultural camp called SOAR. It stands for Summer Of Academic Refinement. At the camp the kids are assigned a mentor who helps with the entire college application process as well as an in depth look at possible majors. They prep the entire week for the ACT, hike the Y and get involved in service projects. Kids flew in from as far as Tonga, Hawaii, Hong Kong and Texas to name a few, for a week of spiritual and cultural feasting. As can be seen from the smile on her face in the picture below, my girl had the time of her life! She even met several girls who she'd love to room with next year if the stars align.





Brett and I drove down for the banquet where we were greeted with the sweetest embrace. She forgets sometimes how much she loves us. Sending her away for a week is worth every penny because it helps her realize that her Dad and I are indeed two of her biggest fans who want nothing but the best for her crazy self! So after our warm embrace the first thing she says to me is, "Come here Mom, I can't wait for you to meet my boyfriend! Actually I have two! I just know your gonna love'em..." See what I mean. Crazy. We met counselors, mentors and roommates all of which felt like life long friends. I've never seen so many beautiful, wholesome 17 year old kids gathered in one place! We shared an awesome meal followed by a mini fireside/ slide show put to music that the kids all sang along to. It was my first introduction to the song Waka Waka which has since become our family party song.

Boyfriend # 1


Boyfriend # 2


One of her many delightful roomies from Hawaii


They call themselves soul sistas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of Sarita! Que VIVA La RAZA!

Carrie said...

2 boyfriends? Sarah is such a bundle of fun! That looks like a very cool camp that she did. What a great opportunity.

Daisie said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun!! I'm sure she had MORE than two boyfriends--she only told you about two!