Tuesday, June 3, 2008

a week in May

I've heard it said that May is the new December due to all of the running around one does! When you have 6 little people in three different schools it certainly feels that way. Wrapping up the school year means lots of recitals, end of term projects, and of course season finales. (Lost anyone?) Here are a few pictures that highlight our busy week in May.


Last Sunday was spent visiting Grandpa & Grandma Brown's grave. We shared thoughts and remembrances of these amazing people whom we miss dearly. On Monday, we got together with most of the Nielson cousins, aunts and uncles to remember and celebrate Grandma Mary and Grandpa Marlo. I think they must have been thrilled to look down upon their posterity sharing a great time in their very home for hours and hours.


Tuesday was an exciting day for Matthew and his baseball team The Rockies, who after having lost most every game this season came out and won two tough games in the finals. Matthew had some great plays on third base and scored a few runs for the team. Papi would have been so proud of you Matthew! Baseball pictures coming soon.



Wednesday was the 5Th grade annual Upland Terrace State Fair. Katherine was thrilled to do her report on Texas: birthplace of her Grandma Martha, her tias (aka aunts), her brother Matthew, and her Mama. While reading up on this Lone-Star State she came up to me just beaming and said, "Mom, did you know that the state motto is friendship!" She looked at me with her angel eyes and said, "Isn't that the neatest thing." Yes it is sweetie, yes it is.


Earlier that same day I had the joy of having a birthday lunch with one of my dearest friends, Jen. We met back in Chicago about 12 years ago and have been kindred ever since. If anyone reading this doesn't know this girl all I can say is YOU'RE MISSING OUT! She is caring, funny, artistic and genuine. She has a laugh that I'd recognize in a busy airport. She's big into birthdays and drives from Timbuktu just to deliver a casserole or give one her famous bear hugs. I love you Jen. Thanks for never giving up on our friendship. Can't imagine life without you.



Two other noteworthy things happened on Wednesday. At around 6:30 that evening Analisa ran down the stairs looking gorgeous as usual, especially for just having returned from tennis 1/2 hour earlier, and shouts, "Hey Mom, have you seen my recommend?" I walk over to her file of important papers and hand her the little white paper that serves as her entrance ticket to the temple. She kisses me on the cheek, runs out the door, jumps in her YW leaders car and waves goodbye as I watch them zoom off towards downtown Salt Lake. I am so grateful to have worthy girls who are willing to live the standards of the church.

As typical, I send Sarah a text now and then when she's out hanging with her friends, to check in and see how things are going. Sarah replied with a text that said, "Everthing's good, don't worry Mom, I will stand for truth and righteousness..." I'm holding you to it, girly!


Still on Wednesday, was the 9TH grade awards assembly. Sorry the picture is blurry, but it shows how excited Sarah was to receive an award from the beloved, Paul Watson, her orchestra/band teacher, for "Outstanding Performance in Jazz Band & Orchestra". She also received her third consecutive "Drama Award" from Ms. Dodge. Hey, we don't call her drama queen for nothing. Way to go, Sarah!



Thursday was another fun filled day of baseball, music practice, and watching "So You Think You Can Dance" with my gal pals Cristy and Amy. We have treats and critique the good, the bad, the ugly, like we know what we're talking about. Which we do, really! When the show gets past the silly part of auditions, we have a top 10 contest where we guess who will win biggest diva, most improved, etc... my kids look forward to this every year, there are prizes and everything.


Friday was Samuel's last day of preschool. Whaaa-whaaa! He has had the greatest time at Holiday. I'll have to do another entry to summarize my affection for this place. Here he is with fellow "pups" Spencer and Hopey.


Friday night was the big Promotion Luau for Sarah and her posse. I got in on the action by helping with the dinner and photography. Here she is with her best friends Nick, Alex, Meagan, Zach, Zoe and Victoria. They danced the night away and had a blast. It's so interesting to watch Sarah interact with her peers. Zoe commented to her, "Sarah, you are friends with the most random people."

"I know. I just love people," she replied.

It was obvious. The Poly's, the Asians, the Goths, the nerds, the cool and everyone in between have a genuine affection for her and her for them. She is a people lover just like her Grandma Martha and Grandpa David.



Saturday was all about fun in the sun. The boys had a blast at the SLSTC. Brett and AL played tennis to their hearts content while the rest of us hung out at the pool. Looking forward to many more days like that this summer.



We topped off our fun filled week with a gorgeous voice recital Saturday evening. Here she is with some of her most loyal fans, Grandma Judith, Grandma Martha and Grampy David. I will try to get a little video clip of the evening up here soon.



May has been a busy, fun packed month. Every week has been much like the one just described. Thanks to a wonderful family and fabulous friends the love keeps marching on.

4 comments:

Ada's Girl said...

I remember tons of busy days but I think this tops them all. What lovely pictures of a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing. Love

Blue said...

Wow. I don't know how you do it all you guys! what a great week...you pack a lot of living into your lives. And you still find time to document it all. That's fantastic!

Brett Nielson said...

We have one rich, beautiful life. We are so blessed.

Kristin said...

You constantly amaze me at all yo do and how well you do it! You have raised such a wonderful family. Keep feeding me your advice on how you do it! I need it.