Monday, June 16, 2008

The Dad Jackpot

Growing up, I had a quote given to me by a dear young women leader, it said: "The most important thing that any Latter Day Saint does in this world is to marry the right person, in the right place, by the right authority..." Bruce R. McConkie. This little token hung on my bedside next to a picture of the temple most of my adolescent years. While I knew it was true, I had no idea just how important that decision would be. Nor did I realize the profound impact this person would have on the lives of my children. I can't imagine my girls having to make that kind of decision in a few short years. I can see now why my Dad was so unhappy when I announced I was bringing someone home for the family to meet. I remember when I was about 14, 15 crying to my Dad that growing up was taking way too long. My heart longed for the future family I knew was destined to be my very own. "Todo tiene su tiempo, mija" he would say. Everything has it's time.



Fast forward 18 years later. I look back now and say, WOW was I blessed! I truly hit the jackpot. Not only is Brett an amazing companion and spiritual mentor but he is an outstanding Dad to our 6 kids. I remember how gently he'd take each of our newborn babies and whisper to them, "Do you remember what heaven was like? Will you teach me everything you know?" Brett is patient when I'm not. He is calm, when I just want to scream. He is funny and nurturing with the kids and knows exactly what to say when I'm at a loss for words. I can't imagine doing this parenting thing with anyone but him.



Heavenly Father also blessed me with an incredible Papi. He is forever the optimist. Someday I will have to write more about where he came from and the story of amazing sacrifice he and my mom gave for me and my sisters to have a better life. Dad was forced to quit school and work to support the family at about 4th grade. It wasn't until 1993 that he went back to school in Houston and got his G.E.D. On Sarah's blessing day he gave me a hand written copy of an essay he wrote for his English class. The essay asked the question of why people want children. Here is a little part of what he wrote, "One reason is that children are a link to the future. They will probably be here after the parents are gone. A deeper reason for wanting children, perhaps, is that the more fulfilled our lives can be. By giving to a child, people enrich their own lives. In the end, we live not for ourselves, but for others."

I adore this man and have learned so much from his example.



The final great Dad in my life is my dear father-in-law, David. From day one he has made me feel loved, accepted and one of his own. He has a zest for life that is contagious. He also has a fascinating story that Brett will have to share in the future. He has a strong work ethic and a strong enduring testimony that is manifest by the way he lives his life. My kids and I think he's pretty great and love it when he takes us for rides on his motorcycle.


Thank You Brett, Papi and David for enriching my life and the lives of my children and sharing your goodness with everyone around you. A girl couldn't ask for anything more!



4 comments:

Brett Nielson said...

What a wonderful tribute. I'm so lucky to be your husband. You do the same kinds of things for me that you say I do for you. Let's keep the hot tamale train going!

Carrie said...

What a wonderful tribute to fathers. You have amazing men in your life. I love the picture of you with your Dad. It's beautiful!

Ada's Girl said...

What a tender, sweet addition to your wonderful blog. We feel blessed that you chose Brett and that he chose you. You and your children are, as we say, sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Oh Claudia-- the line about, "do you remember heaven...?" made me cry and I didn't stop until the end.

I love the pictures-- when can I peek at your wedding album? And I love you!