Friday, August 13, 2010

longing

Life has been on turbo speed these last few weeks. Only 10 days left of summer and I feel like it just began. Sad.

My mom, dad and two sisters came in from out-of-town which have made things around here extra eventful. Mom impressed us yet again with her absolutely divine cooking. I wish I had the photo skills and vocabulary to adequately describe her gift. It is pure magic what that mama of mine can do with a few simple ingredients. In Papi's exact words, "Pues Martha, te aventaste como siempre." Translation: "Well Martha, as always, you out did yourself!" I have picked up a few of her secrets and can duplicate a teeny, tiny bit of her recipes but mostly I just sit back in awe and take just one, or two, or three... extra bites to savor her magic before she leaves and we're left with cold cereal and boring pizza.

As much as I LOVE her cooking I miss her company the most. Her sweet laugh and the sound of her voice. We enjoyed some quiet time lounging around the pool watching the kids jump off the high dive while talking politics, dating and future possibilities. We'd come home, send the kids to bed and talk some more. It's usually when she's here that I realize how much I truly missed her company. Now she's gone- back to school, work and life's up's and downs in Oklahoma. What I wouldn't give for one more mole enchilada, but even more, a warm mom embrace and the chance to tell her face to face how much she is loved.




miss you, mom.

3 comments:

Daisie said...

Claudia, I just love how much you love your mom! I think I may have only met her once, but I love her just from all the wonderful things you say about her! And she's GORGEOUS--no wonder you and all your sisters are hotties!

Kristin said...

Oh, I love this post! You are indeed lucky to have such a great mom. You are a great cook, too, and I know because I have tasted some of your cooking! I know how you feel missing your mom. I miss mine terribly, too! When school starts back up again, we need a good phone call!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

ah, loved this post.

and yes, summer has gone WAY too fast.