Thursday, March 18, 2010

In the Spirit of Giving

So tell us Mrs. N., how did you win a family of four, 3 day 2 night Disney Resort plus park hopper tickets vacation???

Last summer a sweet but spunky senior sister in our ward asked if our family would like to accompany her in a Pioneer presentation to a local Alzheimer's Center. Sure why not, I thought, they won't remember us anyway. We brought along our bonnets, violins and western attire and had a nice time visiting with the old folks. Spunky Senior Sister (S.S.S.) was so enamored with our skills that she decided to take our little Von Trapp family on the road. We visited a dozen care centers that summer. By the end of it I thought I never wanted to step foot in one of those places again! Yeah, I know, rude, huh? Well my guilt and a little begging from S.S.S brought on a traveling Christmas program. I know, I know, the fun never ends... Although it was never my intention to visit every care center along the Wasatch front, we have managed to put a smile on few gentle faces along the way. And that has made it totally worth it in the end.

The following clip (so spontaneous and unrehearsed!) and pictures are from a couple visits to the care center David and Judith have stewardship over. I never planned on writing about this so I have very few pictures to show for it, but you get the idea.










I submitted a few of these pictures on Today's 106.5 and was chosen a winner of the Disney, Spirit of Giving contest. The girls and I plan on going sometime in May or October :)

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I love the video of Brett and Sarah. They are so CUTE! I think I saw a few flashes of Katherine dancing. Is that right?

How resourceful you are! You are so in "the know." I guess I should start paying attention to what's going on around me. Wake up!

Congrats! That will be neat to go with just your girlies.

Anonymous said...

Amazing and well deserved!

Daisie said...

Your family is so dang talented!!! You guys SO deserve it for sharing your talents so willingly!! (I don't believe it for ONE minute that you "never wanted to step foot in one of those places again!")

Melissa said...

How exciting! Usually service like that often goes unrecognized, though never unappreciated by those that receive it. Have lots of fun!

Ada's Girl said...

What a lovely thing you have done. As I am looking at these pictures and the memories rush back, I am again saddened at the loss of Melba and Marjorie pictured here. You brought such joy to their lives and they loved you. That service was truely a gift to our friends at the care center. If anyone askes WWJD? That's it. Thank you all so much. Love you.