Saturday, October 17, 2009

a series of (could've been worse) unfortunate events

Friday
6:15 am "Mom, my car won't start. The batteries dead. I'm gonna be late for cello, what should I do?"

6:16 am "Just take my van Sarah. I won't need it 'til later this afternoon. Drive safe sweetie and have a good day." I shuffle back to bed and wait for the next round of kids to awake.

7:55 am As I fluff the last pillow on my bed I have the distinct impression to get down on my knees and pray. Pray for mom, pray for Cristina, pray for Brett, pray for the kids individually, pray for safety and guidance. Amen.

2:55 pm At the Felice home up the street. A teenage boy who has parked in his friends driveway says to the friends mom, "I have a feeling I should move my car out of the driveway in case you need to leave soon. I'll be right back." He moves his car to the side street clearing the driveway for what lies ahead.

2:59 pm Felice girl (a true tom boy) age 11, plays basketball in her driveway takes a shot and misses. She never misses. She steps into the garage to retrieve the ball when this happens...



3:00pm Sarah happily driving down Upland Drive with three of her girlfriends in tow gets slammed when a careless teenage boy runs through a stop sign and into the front right passenger side of our beautiful mini van.

In a split second air bags deploy, girls scream, and the car veers to the left, jumps over the curb and stops inches away from where an 11 year old girl is fetching her basketball.

Sarah couldn't see a thing with the air bags blocking her view from every angle but had the good sense to slam on the brakes before running into the Felice home.



The boy who slammed into the girls runs over to make sure everyone is alive and admits to accidentally pressing on the gas instead of the brakes as he ran the stop sign.

Sarah, in a rage glares and screams, "What are you stupid!?! You almost got us killed!!!"

Everyone climbs out of the car and it isn't long before a firetruck, an ambulance and half of the East Millcreek 4th Ward is out examining the scene of the accident.

3:20 pm I notice several missed calls on my cell phone and call Sarah back only to hear her crying and then a stranger's voice say,"There's been an accident. Your daughter is okay but you need to come right away." Can I just say, that has got to be every mothers nightmare!?!

3:21 pm I race out of the house and find Brett returning home from a run. "Get in the car! We've got an emergency!" As we approach the scene I feel a pit hit my stomach. Soon my eyes land on Sarah and her friends, all standing and apparently unhurt on the other side of the mangled mess that was our happy little family van and I am overcome with a feeling of relief. No one's hurt. I hug my girl and thank my Heavenly Father right there and then for watching over these precious ones. And for the series of events that led to many peoples safety.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How incredibly scary! I know what's it like to have an accident at age 16.
Terrifying! I'm so relieved to know that everyone is okay. Has she been able to drive since then?

Blue said...

claudia even though this wasn't a horrible tragedy, it made me cry. i'm so glad you guys are okay. your outlook and attitude are amazing. love you!!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Kristin said...

Oh heavens Claudia! What an ordeal. So glad Sarah and her friends weren't hurt. Thank heavens for prayers, mothers intuition, and the tender merices of our Heavenly Father who watches over us all.
Let me know what happens with your poor car!

Ada's Girl said...

How blessed we are that all is well except for the bruises. The prayers for protection of our families are certainly not in vain. He watches over us all.

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't get all that story from Brett today. I am so sorry. How scary for everyone. I am just so glad they are o'kay. Love that Sarah. Tell her I'm thinking of her.

Melissa said...

I saw something on facebook about Sarah..just now reading the post. So glad no one was seriously injured. Scary indeed!