Monday, May 16, 2011

dishes



About 6 weeks ago our dishwasher went out. When you make 3+ meals for 8+ people per day dirty dishes add up pretty quick. I bought paper products thinking it would get fixed in no time but was shocked to find the repair cost almost as much as a new machine. So we waited til we had time to go shop for a new one or fix the old one. While we kept deciding on which route to take in no particular hurry, April turned into May and we kinda got use to the ole' washing by hand routine.

At first I dreaded the mountainous task at hand, but after a while as I repeatedly soaked my hands in the warm soapy water that accompanied the dishes after nourishing the people I love, it didn't seem so arduous after all. It quickly became a time for contemplation and prayer. And when invited, helpers willingly joined me at the sink full of bubbles. I found that it became a time to talk through the events of the day, problems and victories. I understood in a small way, why even though my own mother had a nice dishwasher in perfect working condition, she still chose to do them by hand.

Tomorrow will be the end to the stacks and stacks of flipped over piles of drying cups, plates, pots and pans. And while I'll miss that one on one time accomplishing and finishing a task in the company of my family, I will be happy to hear the hum of the dishwasher again. Guess we'll have to transfer the one on one, working together time out to the yard.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I know it sounds crazy but I love washing dishes too. It is that warm soapy water...it's soothing and therapeutic. But, oh so glad to have a dishwasher as well!

Beautiful picture of all those flowers! Is that your yard? Wow!

Betancourt Family said...

I totally love washing dishes with my little ones esp since they are still disappointed when it is not their turn to help but let's be honest the dishwasher is a gift from up above. :)

PS thank you for sharing your experience on my blog. There is so much that I don't know about our family it is wonderful when I get little glimpse and realize how much alike we are.