Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Seven Peaks

As anyone in my family can tell you, I am not a water park kind of girl. I'm not into swimming, slides that make my stomach go up in to my throat, or anything that involves getting my hair wet. I know it sounds silly but unless you have ethnic hair that you straighten on a regular basis, you won't get it.

My sister Moni and I almost drowned as children on a trip to Cancun. The undertow sucked us so far deep into the ocean that even the lifeguard that spotted us and swam to our rescue needed rescuing himself. I remember quite vividly looking up at the sun through the crashing waves and thinking that was the last image I would ever see. Just as I was about to give up, my Dad pulled me up for air and carried me on his back to dry ground. My mom rescued Moni by the hair and I remember watching in terror as they pumped her chest in the sand waiting for her to come to. Needless to say, I haven't been a big fan of recreational water activies for quite some time. I'm usually the one that volunteers to hang out with the babies at the kiddy pool.

This year I ventured out of my comfort zone and went on some rides and even got my hair wet. It was a blast. I wasn't brave enough to ride Boomerang or anything like that but going out in water above my waist was kind of a big deal for me.

Thanks sistas for dragging me along and not putting up with my lame excuses. Next year I'll have to join you guys on the orange slide. Well, maybe.


6 comments:

katherine said...

Just watch someday my mom will ride the Boomerang!!!!!!!!!!!

Daisie said...

Great pictures!! Looks like you guys had tons of fun! I'm anxiously awaiting your blog post after you ride the Boomerang!

Carrie said...

I'm proud of you, Claudia!!!!!

Crystal said...

I love these pictures! Captured everything right on! We definitely need to make this a family tradition. I'm so proud of you for being so brave and even getting on cave in and tube run! I just loved your cringing face everytime we were like "come on Clau, you can do it" Your so cute, you didn't want to let us down:) And your right about one thing, if you don't have our hair you woulnd't understand about how our hair and the water don't mix!I must have had enough clpis in my hair holding it down to cover the U.S. girls gymnastic Olympic team! For anyone who doesn't know about the orange slide check out Claudia's last pic;) Can't wait for you to conquer the boomerang next year!

Ada's Girl said...

Looks like a great time. I guess we can overcome anything. Congrats. I think I would be just like you if I had almost drown. Way to go!

Blue said...

i ♥ water parks. just wish they didn't cost so much! and i wish that one of these days when we have a chance to go to one, it would actually be a HOT day! me no likey the cold.